Natural Resources Management Expertise – with 28 years of relevant working experience in forest resources management practice; 15 years of forest management at the field level and 13 years at forest policy and management planning level; and more than 8 of which were spent in climate change technical and policy formulation in the forestry sector:
- Management of natural forests – (natural forests (Kisangi, Mubuku and Rwenzori (before it became a national park); 1991-1996 Forest Officer – Mabira (5 years) (doing management of the greater Mabira central forest reserves);
- Biodiversity conservation – 2001-2004 Project Officer – UNDP /GEF Biodiversity Project – Moroto (3 years) supporting the technical management of Moroto, Kadam and Napak CFRs);
- Forest policy and management planning – supporting the technical requirements and standards for sustainable management of all NFA’s forests (called central forest reserves (CFRs)) as Natural Forests Management Specialist; and forests response to climate change as Coordinator for climate change.
- Research and Training – 1996-2001 Lecturer and Researcher – Nyabyeya Forestry College (5 years); and 2001-2004 Project Officer – UNDP /GEF Biodiversity Project – Moroto (3 years) supporting the technical management of Moroto, Kadam and Napak government forest reserves (CFRs);
Climate Change Policy and Practice Expertise – From 2007, I served as a Coordinator, Climate Change – within the National Forestry Authority where I was responsible for, but not limited to the following functions:
- Coordination of preparation and implementation of five Uganda clean development mechanism (CDM) Small Scale Afforestation / Reforestation Projects
- Coordination, as Alternate National REDD+ Focal Point, of the national REDD+ Programme. This includes, but is not limited to the supervision consultancy services, preparation of project proposals.
- Part of the national delegation to the UNFCCC responsible for forestry issues with special emphasis on REDD+ and CDM/AR – where, I occasionally deputized the national mitigation team leader during and after the negotiations
- Coordination of provision of the forest related information required for the preparation of national climate change policy processes and documents (National Climate Change Policy, Nationally Determined Contributions (NDC), National Communications to the UNFCCC)
Some of the publically available documents that I have co-supervised their preparation
- REDD Readiness Preparation Proposal For Uganda
- National REDD+ Strategy
- Benefits Sharing Arrangements (BSA) and Feedback Grievance and Redress Mechanism for Uganda’s REDD+ Programme
- Uganda Forest Reference Emissions Level
Bachelor of Science (Forestry), Makerere University, Kampala, Uganda Diploma in Forestry for Rural Development, International Institute for Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC), The Netherlands.